Jump to Navigation
Don’t Delay. Call Today! (314) 226-1426 | (866) 770-8691

Frequently Asked Questions about Uninsured Motorists

Uninsured motorist coverage protects an insured who is injured in an accident with a driver who does not have insurance. If you have questions about uninsured motorist coverage, contact our firm to schedule a consultation with an experienced attorney for straightforward solutions that will work for you.

Learn More About Uninsured Motorists Claims

At the law firm of Kolker & Germeroth, L.L.C. in Clayton, we represent clients in the St. Louis area, throughout Missouri and southern Illinois who have been injured in accidents caused by uninsured or underinsured motorists.

Below, we have provided some general information to educate you on how the law treats this issue. For answers to questions about your specific case, contact us today for a free initial consultation with a lawyer.

Thank you for contacting Kolker & Germeroth, L.L.C. Your message has been sent.

Call us now

or use the form below.

Frequently Asked Questions about Uninsured Motorists

Q: I was injured in an automobile accident and the other driver does not have insurance. What can I do?

A: Most states require all drivers of motor vehicles to have liability insurance coverage. Unfortunately, not all drivers comply with this requirement or you may be in an accident with a driver from one of the few states that does not require liability coverage. If you have uninsured motorist coverage, you may be able to recover for your injuries, just as if the other driver was insured. Your insurance company will step into the shoes of the driver responsible, as though it were insuring that driver.

Q: What is uninsured motorist coverage?

A: Uninsured motorist coverage is insurance coverage that protects you if you are involved in an accident with a motorist who has no insurance or if you are struck by a hit-and-run driver who is never located. Uninsured motorist coverage is available in the same amounts as regular liability insurance coverage.

Note that your uninsured motorist coverage does not provide protection for the uninsured motorist. In fact, your insurance company may sue the uninsured motorist for amounts it pays to you.

Q: How do I know if I have uninsured motorist coverage?

A: In many states, uninsured motorist coverage is mandatory. In other states, the coverage is optional. If you don't know whether you have uninsured motorist coverage, review your motor vehicle insurance policy or contact your insurance agent.

Q: What is covered by my uninsured motorist policy?

A: Your uninsured motorist policy provides coverage for bodily injury or death caused by another motorist who does not have liability insurance coverage. Uninsured motorist coverage will also protect other occupants of your car who are injured.

Note that uninsured motorist coverage typically does not provide coverage for property damage.

Q: What do I do after I have been in an accident?

A: Your policy will tell you what to do. The instructions in your policy should be followed closely, as this can affect your right to make a claim. What follows is a typical sequence of events:

First, you should report the accident to your local law enforcement authorities. Next, you should seek medical attention, if necessary. It is best to seek attention quickly, even if you aren't sure that you need it. After that, notify either your insurance agent or your insurance company's claims office of the accident and probable claim. Instructions on how to report a claim, including the person or office to which it must be reported, will be found in your insurance policy. Last, review your policy or talk to your insurance to confirm how much and what kind of coverage you have.

Copyright ©2009 FindLaw, a Thomson Business

DISCLAIMER: This site and any information contained herein are intended for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. Seek competent legal counsel for advice on any legal matter.

Back to Main

Have You Been Injured? Call Now! (866) 770-8691 Practice Areas
Get Answers

If you’ve suffered a personal injury, call (866) 770-8691 or fill in this form.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy | Law Marketing by FindLaw, a Thomson Reuters business.

7730 Carondelet, Ste 310 | St. Louis, MO 63105 | PH: 314-226-1426 | PH: 866-770-8691 | F: 314-727-8529 | Email | Directions